WAA (never the WAA) is preferred on second reference, but the association is acceptable.
Usage of the registered mark:
- use ® only when the full name is written out, only once, and on the first reference (or first “convenient” reference)
- punctuation follows the ®
- do not use it in running text in On Wisconsin, Badger Insider, Badger Voice, articles submitted for publication elsewhere, the body of press releases, mailing addresses, envelopes, or letterhead
- do use it in the mastheads of On Wisconsin, Badger Insider, and Badger Voice; the contact listing and final About WAA paragraphs in press releases; the masthead and last paragraph of newsletters; ads and other promotional materials
- if a marketing vehicle has several pieces, use the ® on the first reference in each piece
- do not use superscript online or with emails, but generally superscript is preferred if it’s readable